Babies are like lights of any home. They bring families together laughter, joy, and excitement with their tiny and cute physique. However, aside from the fun that these babies bring, it is undeniable that they contribute to most of the mess around the house, as well as their clothes are what is majority in the laundry basket. Average families are known to have 8-10 loads of laundry each week, and most babies have sensitive skin that is why most parents are thinking of having separate laundry for the baby clothes, using a milder detergent, or a baby detergent.
Choosing to wash your baby’s clothes with baby detergents is completely your choice. However, it is recommended by most Paediatrics Doctor and other experts to wash your baby’s clothes separately due to instances that babies become allergic to ordinary detergents used. With all the baby detergents found in the market, here are some tips on how to choose a laundry detergent that is suited for your babies.
- Fragrance-free. Commonly disassociated to no smell or unscented, fragrance-free actually means that the detergent is free from any form and kind of fragrance. Unscented detergents on the other hand are the ones that contain any fragrant-giving ingredient, but the smell or cent is masked, thus making it not smelly. Fragrance-free detergents are best in keeping your baby’s skin to avoid irritation.
- Free of Chemicals or Organic. Chemically made detergents may actually cause some irritation and reaction towards your little ones skin that is why it is highly recommended to use a laundry detergent without any chemicals and is plant-based or organic. Using organically made products, such as detergents, not just help in decreasing the possible discomfort you baby might feel but is also good for the environment.
- Without brighteners. Avoid using laundry detergents that has ingredients that function as brighteners. Brighteners are substances that are used to help brighten the colors of the clothes. In reality, these brighteners do no actually get the clothes cleaner. Aside from that, these substances may stick to the fabrics and may possibly cause a reaction to your baby’s skin.
- This does not mean a total absence of ingredients that commonly causes allergies. Instead, when the product manufacturer claims that the laundry detergent their producing is hypoallergenic, it has contents that cause minimal allergic reactions. However, FDA does not regulate the use of the term “hypoallergenic” which makes the claim unguaranteed that it’s the best laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin.
Considering these criteria on how to choose the best laundry detergent for your babies, here are top 15 brands, with no particular order, of which you are guaranteed to be safe and trusted.
- GREEN SHIELD ORGANIC BABY FREE AND CLEAR LAUNDRY DETERGENT. This detergent brand is a certified organic baby detergent of the USDA. A hypoallergenic brand that is free of dyes, which explains the transparency, free of fragrance, phosphates, and petrochemicals too. The ingredients of Green Shield Organic Baby Free and Clear Laundry Detergent are obtained from sustainable resources, thus the “organic” branding. This detergent works well however pretreating might be needed for large stains.
- ALL FREE CLEAR LIQUID LAUNDRY DETERGENT. This laundry detergent is best for babies with eczema. As this may not be really labelled as a baby detergent, with its formulation suited for what a baby’s detergent is, All Free Clear Liquid Laundry Detergent can be considered as one. It is hypoallergenic, dye-free, fragrance-free, and is gentle for delicate skin. In addition to this, this laundry detergent is recommended by the National Eczema Association. This brand is also good in erasing dirt and grime but pre-treatment is needed for stains that are difficult to remove.
- DREFT STAGE 1: NEWBORN HEC LIQUID DETERGENT. From the known brand Dreft, this liquid detergent for babies is the number one choice of Paediatricians for babies that has sensitive skin. The brand has been widely known for 80 years and aside from that, this is also great for hand-washing delicates. It has that yummy, mild baby laundry scent while it is hypoallergenic and dye-free. Packaging of Dreft is made from 25 percent or more recycled plastic.
- BABYGANICS FRAGRANCE FREE LAUNDRY DETERGENT. This laundry detergent is best for babies with sensitive skin. It is free from sulphates that are very common additive in detergents. It is also gentle, plant-based clothes cleaner that’s free of chlorine, brighteners, phthalates, phosphates, artificial fragrances and dyes. The laundry detergent may not be the best one in removing super stains since it needs pre -treatment, Babyganics is triple concentrated, so you can use lesser amount of detergent for each load and still have clothes that are extra-clean.
- BABY ECOS FREE & CLEAR DISNEY. The Baby ECOS Free and Clear Disney laundry detergent is known for being budget-friendly, environment-friendly, and of course, baby-friendly. It is plant-based detergent, that is biodegradable, and a 100 percent natural baby detergent. This detergent, which is collaboration between Disney and Earth Friendly Products, is a laundry detergent that is free of fragrance, brighteners, phosphates, chlorine, dyes and chemicals. ECOS baby laundry detergent is also a carrier of the Safer Choice designation by the EPA and is a great cleaner for your baby’s clothes even though soaking will be needed for stains that are hard to remove just like any other baby laundry detergent. Also, this detergent will give you reason not to add fabric softeners after washing.
- MEYERS’ CLEAN DAY LAUNDRY DETERGENT, BABY BLOSSOM. For parents who prefer laundry detergents that are not free of fragrance. Mrs. Meyers’ detergent has a citrus scent which is constituted by the ingredients lemon, orange, and germanium essential oils. Aside from having a fresh, bright scent, this detergent is also made of 97 percent organic ingredients, biodegradable, and free of all phthalates, chlorine, formaldehyde, parabens, and brighteners. And the most amazing fact is that even the bottle used for manufacturing of this laundry detergent is made from 25 percent recycled materials.
- 365 EVERYDAY VALUE 2X CONCENTARTED LAUNDRY DETERGENT. Among other laundry detergent, this is known to be the best store-brand baby detergent. The manufacturer Whole Foods has a lot of products to offer aside from their fresh produce and organic kombucha. 365 Everyday, the house brand of the said manufacturer has a lot a pretty stellar baby laundry detergent too. 365 Everyday Value Landry Detergent is completely organic, hypoallergenic, and free of baby-irritating ingredients such as fragrance, phosphates, phthalates, chlorines and dyes. Similar to other baby deterents, pre-treatment is needed for hardly removed stains. This specific laundry detergent is an “A” rated laundry detergent by the Environmental Working Group.
- TIDE PURCLEAN LIQUID. Tide is a common and known brand for laundry detergents and has been a laundry room go-to for eons. Tide, however does not have a specific detergent for baby clothes, Tide PurClean belongs to the category. This laundry detergent is plant-based, free of dyes, brighteners, chlorine and phosphates. Also, Tide PurClean manages to have the same cleaning power as other Tide products even without the petroleum-based cleaning agents which is absolutely great for baby’s clothes. This laundry detergent is also made with 100 percent renewable wind-powered electricity at site that generates zero landfill waste. You have a choice of fragrance-free or with a lovely light honey and lavender scent.
- CHARLIE’S SOAP LAUNDRY POWDER. This baby laundry detergent is hailed to be the best when it comes to cleaning cloth diapers. This laundry detergent was originally formulated as an industrial cleaner which makes it a detergent really best for removing poop stains and also removes any residue left by the previous detergents used in your cloth diapers. This may a sound like Charlie is a strong detergent but it’s actually mild. This is a detergent fitting to be good for babies since it is hypoallergenic, biodegradable, non-toxic, chemical-free and free of parabens too. The detergent may have a scent but in reality, this is a fragrance-free laundry detergent which results to a laundry completely odourless.
- DROPPS SENSITIVE SKIN UNSCENTED LAUNDRY DETEREGENT PODS. Similar to other laundry detergents for baby clothes, Dropps Sensitive Skin Unscented Laundry Detergent Pods is a hypoallergenic, plant-based, and free of dyes, fragrance, chlorine, phosphates, and brighteners. Aside from these, this laundry detergent is also certified by EPA as a Safer Choice because of its special chemical formulation. The packing of this detergent is also convenient especially in cases where you have a stack of laundry in front of you and a baby in your arms. However, there are reports that showed records of over 700 children that were harmed or hospitalized because of ingestion of laundry pods. These cases were recorded between the years 2012 and 2013. Because of this, always make sure to keep your laundry pods in a clean, dry, place that are away from the reach of your kids.
- METHOD 8X CONCENTRATED LAUNDRY DETEREGENT – FREE AND CLEAR. Method is a brand known for it being free of dyes and/or perfumes. The laundry detergent is also derived from plants, making it as one of the best laundry detergents manufactured for babies with sensitive skin. Aside from that, you won’t be spending extra for another batch of detergent for the other laundry since Method 8x Concentrated Laundry Detergent is extra concentrated which makes you able to wash plenty of clothes even with a little amount of detergent. According to instructions, two pumps of detergent for small load, four pumps for medium, and six pumps for a large load of laundry. Most importantly, it’s an easy spot-cleaner which makes it best for stains.
- PURACY NATURAL. Baby clothes that are washed with Puracy Natural came out to be clean and smelled fresh. Of course, this laundry detergent is equipped with detergents safe for babies’ sensitive skin and is also known to be effective with stains. It’s formulation is made with high concentration, which it makes it the best pre-treatment for heavily removed stains.
- ATTITUDE LITTLE ONES. Among the other baby laundry detergent mentioned, this one is known to be the best of the best of laundry detergent with the safest ingredients for babies. It is also a receiver of an “A” rating by the EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning which meant that it has good ingredient disclosure and that these ingredients have few or no known environmental hazards. Aside from that, Attitude is also a company that is known for making products free from contaminants or carcinogenic ingredients. The company’s products are made with the use of a hundred percent renewable energy, reducing their carbon footprint.
- DAPPLE-BABY. Dapple-baby, as created by two moms who wanted an organic and baby-friendly cleaning product for their little ones is a laundry detergent that is biodegradable, parabens free, phthalates free, sodium lauryl sulphate free, and free of dyes and fragrances. As an additional guarantee that this is safe for babies, this brand is also recommended by paediatricians.
- SEVENTH GENERATION – This laundry detergent for babies is made with a quadruple enzyme formula to target tough stains caused by babies. This is also known to be more alkaline compared to other baby laundry detergents with a pH of 6.0. Seventh generation is a bio-based product as certified by USDA which means that the ingredients used to formulate this is from renewable biological sources. The laundry detergent is also free of dyes, synthetic fragrances and optical brighteners. Saving can also be possible as this laundry detergent is twice concentrated compared to normal laundry detergent thus making it wash more clothes.
These are the top brands you should consider using as the laundry detergents for your baby’s clothes. With the ingredients acclaimed to be safe and healthy for your baby’s skin, these products are also known to be environmentally friendly, thus you will not be saving your baby from possible harm on their sensitive skins, but you are also helping the environment towards hazards caused by most substances used not just for laundry, but for cleaning any other parts and things around the house.